Thursday, January 19, 2012

Salt Water Taffy Rice Krispie Treats

 Local candy for a homemade treat.
Recently, my husband and I took a tour of Sweet's factory. It was such a fun experience. We got to sample and see so many tasty treats being made. All the candy action made me want to create something from their creations. Luckily, I remembered a segment on a local news show I saw where they made Rice Krispie treats using salt water taffy. I thought I would give it a try with some of the taffy from the factory store. Originally, I was going to use chocolate taffy for a hot chocolate with marshmallows taste, but that wouldn't have been much different than cocoa krispies. So I went with some key lime taffy to have a little fruity citrus flavor.

Salt Water Taffy Rice Krispie Treats
5 Tablespoons butter
5 1/2 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
3 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
12-15 pieces of Sweet's salt water taffy

Line a baking sheet with a silpmat or parchment paper. Slightly warm taffy with hands, or if older taffy place in microwave for 10 seconds. Roll into long strips and cut into about ten small pieces per taffy.
In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until they are almost smooth/melted. Remove from heat and fold in cereal. Also fold in the pieces of taffy, until cereal is evenly coated.
Pour mixture onto prepared baking sheet. To prevent sticking, stray hands with non-stick spray. Press down lightly to compress to the desired thickness. Allow to cool until set.
Store air tight. 

Slight change from KSL

No comments:

Post a Comment