This would taste good even on the moon, yes the moon.
Last week I watched my first movie in the park. Despicable Me. I needed something to munch on during the movie, but just salt popcorn didn't sound that good. Caramel corn it was. Having all the ingredients on hand and how quick and easy it is to makes, caramel corn was the best choice. Better than the frozen cookie dough, I could have baked. Plus eating popcorn is what you do at a movie. My friend and I had a great time with the star above us as the little minions stole the screen.
Steal the Moon Carmel Corn
3 1/2 quarts plain popped popcorn
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the popped popcorn into two shallow greased baking pans. I used a cookie sheet that had sides. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
- Combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, margarine and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring enough to blend. Once the mixture begins to boil, boil for 5 minutes while stirring constantly. Be sure to stir!
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the baking soda and vanilla. The mixture will be light and foamy. Immediately pour over the popcorn in the pan, and stir to coat. Don't worry too much at this point about getting all of the corn coated.
- Bake for 30 minutes, removing the pan, and stirring the caramel around the popcorn every 10 minutes.
- Allow the popcorn to cool slightly in the pan or line the counter top with waxed paper and dump the corn out onto the waxed paper and separate the pieces. Allow to cool completely, then store in airtight containers or resealable bags. (if it makes it to the containers!)