Thursday, March 8, 2012

Midnight Brownies

For the late night snacker or day time eater.
Dark as night, these brownies could be eaten at midnight without anyone seeing that you are eating anything. At my house, we have come to enjoy dark chocolate over milk chocolate more and more. Our candy dish was filled with dark chocolate until it wasn't possible to keep full anymore. When I was picking up some sprinkles to make these cookies. I saw the dark cocoa powder. I bought it not knowing I needed it for the cookies, even though I did. The only thing on my mind was brownies, dark chocolate brownies. Since I had walnuts in the pantry, I added them in to give a crunch. I also enjoy the creamy melted chocolate chips in my brownies, so I threw some in too. Feel free to add or delete either of these depending on your tastes.  

Midnight Brownies
2 cups sugar 
1/2 cup baking dark cocoa 
1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
2/3 cup vegetable oil, divided 
1/2 cup boiling water 
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt 
2 eggs 
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 13 in by 9 in pan.
In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cocoa and baking soda. Add 1/3 cup oil and water; beat until smooth. Beat in the flour, vanilla, salt, eggs and remaining 1/3 cup oil. Stir in walnut.   
Spread into prepare pan.  Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. *Note- with the dark chocolate it can be hard to tell if they are done. Check the side. 

Adapted from Taste of Home

No comments:

Post a Comment