Little woodland creatures as chocolate cookies!
These adorable cookies cutter are from IKEA. All I really needed was a couple of lamp shades, but I walked out with this set under my arm. In hopes that we can go camping sometime soon, these animals were made. I didn't want to make them typical sugar cookies because they seemed too outdoorsy for that. Chocolate helped them look more like they belonged in the woods. When rolled too thin these cookies were just crunchy and not that good, but when thicker they were yum. I used chocolate buttercream to give the animals a bit of dimension.
Chocolate Cut Out Cookies
Slightly adapted from Allrecipes
1 cup butter, room temp
2 cups sugar
3 eggs, room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for rolling out.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; add eggs, one at a time, beating well. Mix in the vanilla.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder and baking powder; add and mix well.
- Wrap dough in waxed plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Divide dough in half. Put the half you are not working with back in the fridge.
- Using a combination of cocoa powder and powdered sugar, to avoid sticking, roll out each half to 1/4 inch thick. Cut with desired shaped cookie cutters.
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes