Sunday, December 18, 2011

Usually Found in a Cup Cake

A bread that will warm you up like a cup of tea. 

This recipe, Honey-Spiced Chai Cake, was given to me by a friend that moved to Arizona from New England. Once she learned that my favorite hot drink was a chai latte, she made me this cake. It has become one of my favorites! It is great for a breakfast treat or an after dinner taste. Usually I would make it as a bundt cake, but I wanted to make mini loaves to put on my trays for the neighbors. However I knew I had to make myself a normal size loaf because I couldn't give it all away!

Honey-Spiced Chai Cake
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cup brewed chai tea
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 egg yolk

Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Grease bundt pan or 2 regular loaf pans. In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, tea, buttermilk, honey, butter, eggs and egg yolk. Beat 1 minute or until just blended. The mixture will be really wet/thin. Pour batter in prepared pan(s).

Bake 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Remove from pan.

If desired, sprinkle top with powdered sugar. Or make a glaze with a 1/4 cup powdered sugar and 3 Tablespoons of water and pour over top. (Glaze will help to give the cake a bit more moisture)

      No comments:

      Post a Comment